Case Study Directions
- Read in your textbook Case #1, “Fixer Upper: Expanding the Magnolia Brand” and watch the 3-minute video, Chip and Joanna Gaines Reveal the Story Behind the Start of Their Own Business Links to an external site. Additional information can be found at Magnolia Inc.’s website: https://magnolia.com, or via its social media site on LinkedIn, https://www.linkedin.com/company/magnolia.
- Write a 3–5 page paper answering the questions below. The page count does not include the cover page, reference page, any charts, graphs, etc.
- At least 3 references of an academic or scholarly source are required for this case study to support your analyses and conclusions.
- Use APA 7th Edition writing style for your entire paper. Include narrative or parenthetical citations in the body of your paper and a reference page. Remember, all information that is not your own work or that is not common knowledge must be cited.
- Include headings to help organize your paper. Convert the questions to short descriptors. For example, an appropriate heading for Question 1 is: Magnolia Inc.’s Competitive Strategy
- Set your margins to 1-inch on all sides and double-space your entire paper, including the reference page.
Case Study Questions
- What are the major elements of Magnolia Inc.’s competitive strategy? How well do the pieces fit together? Is the strategy evolving?
- Explain the pressures facing Magnolia Inc. in its internal and external environments. How would you prioritize those pressures?
- What strategic issues confront Magnolia Inc. in 2018? What market or internal circumstances should most concern owners Chip and Joanna Gaines and the company’s senior management team?
- What recommendations would you make to Magnolia Inc. to address the strategic issues confronting it in 2016 in order to sustain its impressive growth in revenues and achieve profitability?