Week 5 Discussion Board
11 unread reply.11 reply.
For this discussion review the differences and similarities in compensation and pay models for non-union vs. union workers. Provided for you are example statistics of differences that are normally seen between union and nonunion compensation. Please utilize these readings and videos but feel free to do additional research on your own when answering these questions:
- In general, what do you believe is the main difference between basic pay models for union workplaces and non-union workplaces?
- After looking at the pay models discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the two compensation models.
- How does newer legislation (Supreme Court’s union-dues ruling) impact states without right-to-work laws?
Discussion assignments consist of two parts: (I) an initial response to the topic, (II) responses/interactions (2+) with your peers.
Follow all Discussion Board Requirements and Due Dates.
- Sherman (2021) Union Incomes May Seem Better Than Non-Union, But Are They Really? (Links to an external site.)
- (2020) Table 4. Median weekly earnings of full-time wage and salary workers by union affiliation, occupation, and industry (Links to an external site.)
- Nagele-Piazza (2019) What Does the Supreme Court’s Union-Dues Ruling Mean for HR? (Links to an external site.)
- Union to Non-Union Compensation Comparison:
- **(please note this is just an example for one industry and does not represent all industries across the board but gives you some insight into possible differences or variations in compensation).